Sunday, April 11, 2010

Birds

Sunday April 11th

I'm staying in the Audubon Signature Society Evergrene, house sitting for some friends.


Within a couple of days of being here I saw some birds I didn't recognize. I love bird watching, and I feel like I've seen at least a hundred different kinds of them. I like to make the comparison of Bird watching to collecting Pokemon. You want to catch them all, (in your mind at least, or at best on a camera).

I saw a red shouldered black bird, and a moorhen. I also noticed the typical black birds, crows, mocking birds, egrets, and ducks.



The moorhen was a really neat bird. It's related to a coot, and I'm so proud that I knew that when I went to look it up.


I was driving in Hobe Sound this week and saw a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers off of Pettway street.




I think one of my favorite birds seen in Evergrene was the red shouldered black bird. The first time I saw one, I was driving down Bridge Rd. about to get on 95. A black bird with a flash of red on it's shoulder flew above my car. I was shocked and amazed, as soon as I got to school and looked up the bird in my bird book and was really pleased to add a new bird to my "collection." I became even more excited when I was sitting on the back porch here and one sat on a tree in front of me. It's one thing to see a bird flit across the sky and only remember that second in time. It's an entirely different thing to study the bird, and hear it's call.








Last week, after Easter dinner I went to Erin's house. She had told me that she found a dead bird in her yard. Being the bird enthusiast I wanted to see it. I took a bunch of pictures and started researching it.
I believe it's a Blue Winged Warbler.

It of course makes me incredibly sad to see a dead bird, but it offered a great opportunity to identify it and inspect it's body and colorings.


Two days later I found a dead rabbit in my front yard. I thought, what is this, are there vampires in Hobe Sound killing small animals? It was by the front of my house, next to a bush under a palm tree. It had no bite marks, no broken skin or blood on it. It was really hard to tell what killed Mr. BunBun. My brother thinks it was a coconut. "More people die every year from coconuts than shark bites," he says. I guess I'll stay out from under coconut trees. But I'll keep watching for more birds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-winged_Warbler






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a lovely lady. I like to make stuff, I teach lots of kids and believe I'm a big kid myself. I believe in God, and am passionate about the Celebrate Recovery ministry. I love my family, they are all within arms reach. I love animals and their unique behaviors. I am a creator, I am a lover of all, I am an art teacher.